WHAT IS A DEMOCRATIC COMMITTEE MEMBER?
The committee-person is the backbone of the Democratic Party. From an organizational standpoint they do the nuts and bolts jobs which allow the party to function. Chemung County has 15 legislative districts, which are divided into separate election districts. Each election district is allowed two committee-persons. The county has 89 elections districts which means the Democratic Committee is entitled to 178 committee members.
To become a member of the Democratic Committee a person can be designated by petition or be appointed. If there is an opening, you are placed in the district where you live and if not, as close to home as possible. The committee-person represents the Democrats in his/her assigned district. Committee members are expected to carry petitions for themselves as well as our candidates.
AS A COMMITTEE MEMBER YOUR ROLE WOULD INCLUDE:
Assist in finding and electing candidates for office.
- Carry designating petitions for yourself (every 2 years) and candidates.
- Find locations to place candidate signs.
- Distribute information.
- Make phone calls.
- Register new voters who have moved into the district.
- Support the party by attending monthly meetings.
- Support the party financially if able.
Getting to know the Democrats in your district.
- Serve as a contact for your constituents with elected officials and the Party.
- Occasionally patronage jobs become available which the county chair is made aware of and passes on to Committee Members who may be interested or may know a constituent who is.
- Be aware of issues which may impact your constituents and serve as a voice or mobilizer for action.
The role of the committee person is important. Clearly people have different skills, ability and indeed mobility. Each member brings those to the committee which is a benefit. The job is what each member makes it. Some people thrive on door to door work, others are proficient at phone calls, some may want to run for office. What we share will make it possible thru our combined efforts to provide a choice at the polls for Chemung County voters.
Interested in joining us? Please complete a New Committee Member Application form HERE.