On June 17, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed the Emergency Relief Act that created the COVID Rent Relief Program (RRP) which provides up to 4 months of rental assistance for NYS renters with the greatest rent burden. NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) will open the RRP application period on Thursday, July 16.
Applications are due July 30.
To qualify, applicants must have:
• Primary residence in New York State;
• Income below 80% Area Median Income;
• Experienced a rent burden, defined as paying more than 30% of gross monthly income towards rent;
• Lost income during any period between April 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020;
• Rent not greater than 125% of Fair Market Rent;
• At least one household member must be a U.S. citizen or meet one of the immigration criteria found on the website.
[Households living in public housing or in receipt of Section 8 housing assistance are not eligible for RRP.]
Learn more and apply here: hcr.ny.gov/RRP